Monday, January 6, 2014

Excercise One: The Mind's Palm Tree


Somewhere between where I stand and where my mind rests 
the Beyond stretches out its limitless arms. 
It's too far above me to see and too far out of reach
But I can imagine what it might be like. 

It's easy to create an image of a golden gate
or a choir of white robes celebrating in song.
It's fun to imagine skipping from cloud to cloud
in a Mary Poppins fantasy; horse racing with
carousel ponies and tap dancing with penguins. 

I don't think that this is truly what I will find 
When I close my eyes and venture on. 
In fact sometimes I am afraid of the very idea of it, 
The darkness of the unknown, the vastness of space, 
The very concept of a limitless mass of space in time. 

And then it happens. 

A warm hand on my arm, an arm around my waist,
The muffin you left for me on my desk. 
It's in the man who opened the elevator for me
And that warmth that came when I found I wasn't really alone. 
I suddenly realize that I see a glimpse of Heaven every single day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment